Accessory Buildings

An accessory building is one that is detached from the principal building and is generally subordinate to the principal building or use.  Accessory buildings are only permitted on lots that have a principal use.


Application Requirements

I. Obtain an Accessory Building Application and Requirements packet from Development Services.
Review all of the information contained in the packet, including the ordinance.
2. Submit a completed Miscellaneous Building Permit application. (Incomplete applications will not be
accepted for processing).
3. Along with the application, submit a plat (survey) of the property indicating:
a." All existing structures.
b. The location of the proposed accessory building drawn to scale.
c. The distances marked from the proposed project to all property lines.
(Note: Accessory buildings cannot be located within the drainage and public utility easements
on the property.)
d. Landscaping/screening.
4. Submit construction drawings, specifications, and (if required) engineered foundation plans.
(Note: Brochures or specification sheets from manufacturers or contractors showing type,
size, and model of accessory building, are acceptable for pre-built structures.)
5. Submit permit application and sub-contractor fees.
(Note: Subcontractor fees consist of electrical, plumbing, and mechanical)


Processing Procedure:

Upon receipt of the application including the items listed above, a plan review will be conducted by the
Building Official. Please allow up to ten business days for processing the application and plan review.
The Building Official may require additional information. If so, the applicant will be contacted by
Development Services.
Upon approval of the permit, the 'contact person' listed on the application will be notified. The applicant
must sign and date the permit before construction can begin. The permit is valid for nine months, or until
the final inspection is completed.
Sub-contractors for Electrical, Plumbing, and Mechanical, must sign and date the sub-contractor permits
at the Development Services office. A photo ID and Master Electrician, and Master Plumbing license is
required to pull permits.
Various inspections will be required during your project. Check with Development Services when you
pick up your permit. Inspections may be requested in person, by phone, or fax. Listed below, are some of
the inspections that may be required:
Foundation layout/pre-pour.
Framing (including electrical, plumbing, and mechanical rough if applicable).
Final building inspection (including electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and landscaping/screening).